Sunday, June 30, 2013

Discover: Pinangat and Its Home Town

It has been a while since I moved here on blogspot.com and I have to admit I have not fully archived most of my posts from my previous blog. But anyhow, since things are set and ready to run. I went through some to finally come up with a Toes and Tummy Tales postI was supposed to repost my Sili (Chili) Ice Cream post until I’ve realized perhaps it would be best to feature my hometown first. So, viola,




I grew up in Bariw, Camalig, Albay, a lush green, simple and peaceful barangay in Camalig, Albay. My playground, when I was still a kid, has the world famous Mayon Volcano for a back ground. It has a been a simple life (and sometimes I wish I can travel back in time)


Anyhow, I have been gone for about seven years and it has only been last year when I went back. But still nothing beats the things and places I have always loved in our town. So should you visit this humble town of ours, here are some things to check out.

PINANGAT 
Aside being known for SILI (chilli) our town is far more famous in the country for pinangat, laing in tagalong. This vegetable dish of gabi and fish (or pork) is boiled in coconut milk, This recipe has been cooking in most Camalignon’s kitchens for generations. 


Currently, the town is lined with a number of stores selling authentic, home-made dishes at an affordable price! It’s a must try!



 ATV
All Terrain Vehicles are a new attraction in town. It has just been introduced by the local tourism office just recently. These little monsters are best for exploring much of the town’s lush green terrains and the rough and adventurous foot of Mayon Volcano. 



So what else do I say? Hop on one!





Hoyop Hoyopan Cave
There are many places to explore in Camalig, Albay, but one of my biggest favorites really is the Hoyop Hoyopan cave. This has been a venue of many movies and TV productions; and was once, believe it or not, a dance club. 


It was only until the local government pushed for preservation measures that the cave was left as is. Trekking loving tourist would love this place!




 St. John the Baptist Church
Lastly, having been a Catholic all my life, so I take pride in making Visita Iglesias. Our town’s church has been there since 1605 and still stands proud as to reading this post. So should you like to have a glimpse of a century old church, visit the St. John the Baptist Church as well. 



So, there you go. Hope I have at least made you want to see my home town. 
See you around, eh?  


***
All photos belongs to their rightful owners, the blogger claims no ownership over which.


No comments:

Post a Comment

BEST LOVED BY READERS